Incorporating
superfoods into your diet is a quick and easy way to enhance your mood and
prolong your daily energy. According to the google definition, superfood is a
term used for any nutrient-rich food that provides powerful health benefits
without excess calories. The definition at the top of the search result options
even pops up with a “word use over time” graph, displaying a horizontal time
line with a sudden spike where the 21st century begins. The
superfood is a popular trend in the health-food world, but as I’ve come to
realize just how invaluable these simple foods are to our well-being, something
tells me this fad won’t soon end. Below is a list of a few of my favorite
superfoods and their top health benefits.
1. Quinoa
Before I met quinoa, brown rice and
I had a long-standing relationship. But after a while, I grew tired of the same
old routine and my frustration with the grain’s erratic tenderness. Quinoa came
into my life when my friend had cooked her and I dinner one night, and served
my plate with a couple of generous spoonfuls. My mouth could hardly believe the
perfectly ironic texture of the fluffy, yet structured grains. (Trust me,
you’ll know what I’m getting at when you taste it.)
Quinoa is a
protein-rich grain that delivers the body efficient energy and vitality for
hours. Some of the key nutrients attributed to its energy production are
magnesium and riboflavin (B2). Julie Wilcox, creator of the Julie Wilcox Method
and dedicated yogi, raves about the antioxidant effects of quinoa due to its
high levels of manganese, an antioxidant that helps prevent damage to the
mitochondria (the “ energy powerhouse” of the cell) during energy production,
all while fighting off free radicals. This grain is versatile in its uses, and
can be used in protein bars, breakfast scrambles, vegetable bowls, or on its
own. Also, Trader Joe’s supermarkets carry a 2-pack of frozen quinoa that
microwaves in under four minutes. I’m always sure to have one of these boxes in
my freezer in case I’m running short on time, but want to reap the benefits of
warm, fresh quinoa. It comes out of the microwave just as fluffy as it does
when you spoon it from the rice cooker.
2. Chia Seeds
Recently becoming very popular in
the health world are chia seeds! Pauline Hanuise, a certified holistic recovery
and health coach, writes about how these seeds are densely packed with fiber,
vitamin C, and antioxidants—all awesome things. Chia seeds are an excellent
source of polyunsaturated fatty acids, notably omega-3 (a.k.a. ‘n-3’) fatty
acids, says Hanuise. I believe it’s important to know what polyunsaturated
fatty acids are and what they do, especially if you experience bouts of
depression. Dr. Laurie Barclay, neurologist, researcher and freelance medical
writer explains that polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) contain two groups,
omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids (n-3, & n-6). Interestingly enough, the
consumption of n-3 has been associated with a decrease in the occurrence of
depressive symptoms. To explicate these findings, Barclay further explains that
omega-3 fatty acids contain eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic
acid (DHA), which are connected to the prevention and decline of depressive
symptoms. Recent studies present evidence of there being lower levels of EPA,
DHA, and total n-3 PUFA in depressed patients, suggesting a need to heighten
these levels to help alleviate depressive symptoms (Lin, Huang, and Su 143).
3. Cacoa
Cacoa, not cocoa, is simply the
unrefined form of chocolate—So yes, it’s similar to cocoa, but is instead the
raw tree and bean from which cocoa products are made. It has a very bitter
taste in its original form because it is free of additives such as sugar,
unlike chocolate. I find it is easiest consumed by adding it to smoothies,
cereals, or desserts, since it’s taste makes it not all that pleasant to eat on
its own. Our familiar friend and (apparent) antioxidant enthusiast, Pauline
Hanuise, tells us about how raw cacao is rich with antioxidants and plentifully
contains the mood-boosting ingredient, tryptophan. So, go cacoa-crazy and get
happy!
4. Flaxseed
My
mom was the first person to introduce flaxseed into my life. I came across her
in her in the kitchen grinding up something using a smaller, funny-looking
blender. She told me that it was flaxseed and that since she buys the it in
whole-seed form, she must grind the flaxseed up in order to make it easier for
our bodies to digest. One very
informative website that I like to visit when I need information on foods is
called “The World’s Healthiest Foods.” Here I found an extensive fact sheet on
everything you could want to know about flaxseed. The reason that I have added
flaxseed to my diet is because it’s a simple, and purely beneficial way to
maintain my body’s levels of omega-3 fatty acids. Like I mentioned earlier,
this is of great importance to me in terms of fighting off symptoms of
depression. It also contains anti-inflammatory benefits, and high antioxidant
levels and fiber content (“Flaxseeds”). Since I am away at school and not
interested in buying a flaxseed grinder, I buy the convenient, pre-ground form of
flaxseed. The way in which I
incorporate flaxseed into my diet is by adding it to fruit smoothies. It’s
completely tasteless and adds a subtle nutty texture to my smoothies that I
love.
Now
that you’ve amped up your energy with these mighty superfoods, it’s time to put
that energy to good use. Upcoming posts will aim to get your body moving with
some creative workout ideas that will benefit both mind and body.
Works
Cited
Barclay,
Laurie. “Fighting Depression and Improving Cognition with Omega-3 Fatty Acids.”
Life Extension Magazine. n.p. Oct.
2007. Web. 16 May 2014.
"Flaxseeds." The Worlds Healthiest Foods. The George Mateljan Foundation,2001-2014. Web. 6 Jun. 2014.
Hanuise, Pauline. “8 best superfoods to boost your mood and energy levels.” MindBodyGreen. n.p. 3 Jan. 2013. Web. 16 May 2014.
"Flaxseeds." The Worlds Healthiest Foods. The George Mateljan Foundation,2001-2014. Web. 6 Jun. 2014.
Hanuise, Pauline. “8 best superfoods to boost your mood and energy levels.” MindBodyGreen. n.p. 3 Jan. 2013. Web. 16 May 2014.
Lin,
Pao-Yen, Shih-Yi Huang, and Kuan-Pin Su. “A meta-analytic review of
polyunsaturated fatty acid compositions in patients with depression.” Biol Psychiatry 68 (2010): 140-147.
Print.
Wilcox,
Julie. “7 Benefits of Quinoa: The Supergrain of the Future.” MindBodyGreen. n.p. 31 May 2012. Web. 16 May 2014.
Hi Lise,
ReplyDeleteYou mentioned 3 items in your posts that are my all-time favorites. I usually eat salad as one of my meals during the day. I always add Quinoa on top my salad. The good thing is our school cafeteria (Benson) also carries it in their salad bar section. For Chia Seeds, I put quarter cup of it into the water and will store it in the fridge overnight. In the morning I add it to my favorite juice and it taste so good. As far as Coco, as you mentioned in your post it can be eaten with variety things to reduce the bitter taste.
Thanks for the post!
These are three awesome foods. I like the quick and easy synopsis of each. The benefits you explain encourage me to consume them more often. I am a chia seed lover but need to jump on the quinoa train since I have only had it a few times. Chocolate gets a bad reputation because of all the added sugar, so I like how you talk about cacao/cocoa and its health benefits and how you cover up its not so pleasant taste.
ReplyDeleteThis post definitely caught my eye because I'm currently on a quinoa and chia seed craze. I have not tried cacao yet, but it's definitely on my list of super foods to get, along with flax seed. I really love your explanations on how each of these foods effects the body and the nutritional benefits of each. I have to say, since incorporating these foods, and others, into my life, I've seen and felt positive changes with my body. I've had much more energy, haven't been as bloated, and my skin even cleared up for a while. Recently though, I've had trouble with getting creative using quinoa. I tend to just consume it the same two ways all the time - as a plain starch with meals or in salads. Any suggestions for how to spice it up? Also, I've heard that chia seeds are good for when you have a hangover or when you're drinking because they soak up the alcohol - is that true?
ReplyDeleteHi Nikki!
DeleteI do have a few breakfast ideas for quinoa recipes that might interest you. Last quarter my housemate cooked a batch of quinoa breakfast bars from a recipe she got off the internet. I'm not sure of the exact recipe although I believe it incorporated ingredients like granola, honey, ground flaxseed and some select fruits. Try checking out this link to pinterest that is packed with different quinoa breakfast bar recipes: http://www.pinterest.com/palcoure/quinoa-energy-bars/
As for chia seeds and its effect on hangovers, I've never tried it personally but I have heard similar things. However, I think the way that it works would be consuming a mixture of chia seeds and water prior to drinking. The chia seeds soak up the water and turn into a gel which would work to hydrate your body throughout the time that you're drinking alcohol. Another potential reason for alleviating the impact of a hangover could be that the seeds replenish your body with nutrients often exhausted from your body when drinking alcohol, like vitamin C. Also, as I mentioned in my post, chia seeds are packed with antioxidants, which help to rid the body of unwanted toxins (the alcohol). I hope this helps!
p.s. I actually revised my blog post recently and coincidentally I had added flaxseeds to my list! I'll add it to this online blog post now in case you want to read it. Happy Friday!
Hey Lisa!
ReplyDeleteEver since I started following the Paleo diet, I had to give up all gains. Well actually chose to not had to. Prior to my decisions I was vegan and I had a lot of grains. Quinoa was one of my go to protein options and I loved it. I understand the health benefits of it for sure. What I have learned throughout my transition and experience is that each one of us has a choice to take control of what goes into our bodies. But what I think is more important is for us to understand how what we eat affects our bodies. Your blog post is smart and a great source of information. Thanks for teaching me something new.
P.S
Raw Cacao is so strong I made the mistake of thinking it would taste like chocolate and put a few nibs in my mouth....needless to say...YUK!
I generally consider myself a fairly healthy person. I work out regularly, drink a lot of water and get a good amount of sleep, but if there is one place I am lacking it would be my diet. I have often tried to start eating healthier, but it never really lasts because I am either too lazy to make healthier food (I tend to microwave a lot) or I just get cravings for my usual food. Hopefully if I just add in one or two of these superfoods, rather than changing my entire diet, I will be able to stick to it and at least have a bit healthier of a diet. Thanks for the post.
ReplyDeleteThis was a really informative post! Thanks for sharing. I have been looking for foods to improve my diet as of late. I grew up eating Filipino cuisine all the time, which is high in fat and salt. So, when I tried to start eating healthier in college, I hit a major road block because all that came to mind when I thought of a healthy diet was salads--which was really no fun. I tried out quinoa for the first time this year and I loved it. It's definitely a great alternative to rice! I have to admit that I've never tried chia seeds (interesting to learn that it could be helpful in decreasing depressive symptoms). I'll definitely have to try to incorporate it somehow!
ReplyDelete