Waking up today
was hard. My eyes were heavy, it was already uncomfortably warm, and I had a
midterm in three hours. As I stared up at the ceiling, I felt a heavy weight
deepening towards the center of my chest cavity. Anxiety; however familiar with
the feeling, your body never seems to get used to it. I squirmed over onto my
stomach in hopes to redirect the weight outward from my delicate self. Okay, that helped
a little. I got up and
walked into the bathroom, where I found my housemate getting ready for the gym.
She asked me if I wanted to come with her for a quick workout. I groaned that I
should, but she would need to help me get ready or I’d never get there. Thank
God for great friends.
My legs refused to
move faster than a slow walk for the first eight minutes, and I couldn’t stop
yawning; I think I even made the girl next to me yawn. After about ten minutes,
“Are you gonna be my girl” by Jet started playing and I remembered that I had
recently added some catchy new songs to my running playlist. I turned it up
louder, picked up my pace and started to really get into my run. Walking home
from the gym, I embraced feeling the sweat beads drip from my forehead. I
pictured them as being what’s left of the anxious weight I had felt this
morning, liquidated and now draining from my pores. I felt energized,
accomplished, and more confident that, like my run, I too could conquer this
day.
In
the past decade, exercise—especially aerobic exercise—has been the focus of
hundreds of studies in exploring the positive impact it has on mental illness.
Incorporating regular exercise into my routine has undoubtedly been most
influential in treating my depression and anxiety. Making exercise a habit may
not be as simple as making a cup of green tea each day, but its psychological
effects are absolutely invaluable. So how do you stay motivated and keep up a
regular exercise regimen? As noted
earlier, social support and an upbeat playlist are two of my daily motivators.
Having a workout buddy is a great way to keep you on track because you then
have a responsibility to get dressed and go for a run with them. Another tactic
I’ve found successful is to wake up and put workout clothes on right away if I
plan to workout later that day. It forces me to get those clothes sweaty before
taking them off again, or else I feel as though I’ve wasted them; Use that
guilt, use it.
Another
way to stay motivated is to avoid boredom. Repeating the same exercises or
running the same route for every workout is bound to get boring. Not to
mention, your muscles get used to the routine and don’t benefit from it as
much. The thing about exercise is that the possibilities are endless; don’t
hesitate to mix it up. Get a friend to try out a new sport/activity with you,
such as tennis or surfing. Swimming is also a great total body workout. Not a
fan of the water? Try out a cool hike, or head to an indoor rock climbing gym.
In fact, I was recently catching up with my cousin who has just gotten sober
and had also struggled with some mood issues. He told me he’s just picked up
indoor rock climbing and couldn’t stop raving about it. One thing he noted
about climbing was that it is a very mindful activity—meaning it involved much
focused attention on every move being made. For example, you must be constantly
aware of your hand and foot placement, and attend to each new placement
consciously. Mindfulness training is a popular therapeutic strategy that has
been linked with stress reduction and improved mood. Psychobiology researchers
Norman Farb, Adam Anderson, and Zindel Segal believe this to result from
mindfulness increasing one’s attentional control—acquiring the skill to attend
consciously to thoughts, but also the ability to redirect focus away from them
(3). Rock climbing forces you to pay focused, mindful attention to your body
and its muscles. This is a great example of how exercise can reduce stress and
improve your mood. Having fun while doing it is just a perk. So do yourself a
favor and mix it up every once in a while to keep yourself motivated and
moving.
Lastly, being
informed is yet another tool for motivation. Dr. Michael Otto and Dr. Jasper
Smits, two experts in the field of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)[1]
and mood disorders, point out that knowledge can also provide motivation to
exercise, especially when provided with such compelling and extensive evidence
of its benefits to our well-being (7). Exercise can help to improve mood by
lessening symptoms of anxiety and depression, decreasing feelings of hostility,
and increasing the feeling of being connected with others, says Otto and
Smits—and that is only to name a few. So next time you’re unsure of a workout,
remind yourself of these immediate benefits to help yourself realize, you’re
just one workout away from a good mood!
Works
Cited
Farb,
Norman A.S., Adam K. Anderson, and Zindel V. Segal. “The mindful brain and
emotion regulation in mood disorders.” Canadian
Journal of Psychiatry 57 (2012): 1-14. Print.
Otto, Michael W., and Jasper Smits. Exercise for Mood and Anxiety. n.p,
2014. Web. 21 May 2014.
[1] Cognitive
Behavioral Therapy is a kind of psychotherapy with the goal of becoming more
aware of one’s maladaptive or negative thinking in order to manage those
thoughts and respond in a more useful manner.
Neat post, and especially when you mention Otto and Smits' claims that knowledge is a workout motivator. I never thought of it that way before, but I do find myself getting more active and changing up my workouts if I happen to read about the benefits of doing so. Your point about avoiding too much repetition and boredom also stuck with me, and I may try adding a ton more variety to my workout to see how it changes my motivation. Thanks for the post!
ReplyDeleteGreat tips here. I like how you say to put on workout clothes right away when you get up in order to prompt a morning workout. I can totally relate to the feeling of pure anxiety in the morning over academics or just life in general. I think it's awesome you went straight into a workout from that feeling, since exercise is proven to reduce stress. I also like your description of how you felt after a workout- tired muscles but energized mind and lots of sweat and pride. I can totally relate to that feeling.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this post. I discuss the mental benefits of working out in my blog as well. Working out is an excellent way to get rid of anxiety. I also find that working out in the morning is a great way to clear your head and makes me significantly more functional throughout the day. During finals week I run almost every morning because of the duel benefits of stress relief and better mental functioning.
ReplyDeleteReading the first half of your post I couldn't help but think, "lordy, I've been there!" Getting to the gym and through the initial push can be really challenging - some days more than others. I agree with Sara Ryan, I like getting my workouts out of the way first thing and not post pone them until the later afternoon. The morning is always one of the most stressful parts of my day - I wake up making lists and scheduling, even a short run can be like pressing the refresh button. You're blog is easy to relate to and I enjoy your writing style!
ReplyDeleteI always struggle to get myself to go to the gym. I feel like I have to motivate myself ten times more to go workout then I do for almost anything else. It is so ironic because I know from experience how great it feels to workout and how great I feel after, yet I still struggle to want to go to the gym. I relate very well to you in that aspect.I also relate to the loud music aspect too. When I finally get myself going on a run outside in the neighborhood, I blast Pandora or Spotify on my phone. It gets me pumped to want to run to the beat of the music and it is not necessarily a set playlist that I have on my phone that I hear all the time. These apps help me hear variety in my songs and allows for me to choose what artist and type of music to focus on while working out for that day. Music always pumps me up to workout.
ReplyDeleteI love the feeling I get after I workout. That euphoria always manages to ease my frustrations and stress for the day; although the hot shower after always seems to help as well. There have been many times where I literally want to just want to yell at the world out of anger or cry myself into a ball out of depression sometimes, but then I go for a run where I have the opportunity to let my endorphins commandeer my mind and enable me to be set free. I end my workout exhausted but with a smile on my face.
Overall, I would say that your post really helped me remember how much I love to run and that I am going to make it a point to get back into it again. Thanks for the motivation!
I just wrote a long comment and my computer deleted it because I was not logged in :(
ReplyDeleteI'll recap. Your post was great! I loved how it is relatable, informative, motivating, and fun to read. I really like your writing style and attention to detail.
I also had mentioned how I liked your connection to mindfulness, where the mind is only focused in the present. Positive psychologists call this experience, "flow." Maybe you wrote about flow in your other posts, but it's great because not only are there health benefits (physically, mentally, and emotionally), but it erases the past and the future and only allows you to focus on what you are doing, by the second. Flow most often happens during sporting activities, but can also occur while cooking or even writing a paper. However, I can imagine that combining endorphins and flow through exercise is the most beneficial route for your biopsychosocial (thanks dr. plante) health. This is another reason to stay away from a fixed routine because unless you are focused on exactly what you are doing and what comes next, the mind doesn't enter flow. Working out is so good for us, but so hard to begin. Thanks for motivating me to hit the gym or go rock climbing!
It was so great to read your post because I totally related to most of it! I've just started running and I cannot stop raving about how better it has made me feel through my own personal issues. I am glad to hear it is helping to relieve your own depression and anxiety as well. Like you said, it is that first step of getting out of bed that kicks off everything. I can lay in bed for hours and then kick myself for not doing anything because I am so lazy. But once I get my butt off the bed or couch, I suddenly feel like I can tackle so much more. It is always just that first step that makes it difficult to overcome. And like you mentioned, it is immenseley helpful to have friends encouraging you and pushing you to do more. I know when I trained for my 5K that I consistently needed my friends moral support to get through the trainings. I often ended up running alone because I preferred to run in the morning (so I could feel great throughout the day as opposed to just the afternoon or evening) but there was nothing that could replace the social encouragement my friends gave me whenever I felt like skipping a workout.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your description of rock climbing. The way you put it made it sound like a very focused activity that will keep your mind off of anything that isn't climbing related. I'm intrigued, although I'm sort of clumsy so I am not sure how that would go ... But I suppose everyone is a beginner at some point! :)
Variety is crucial in all aspects of life. Exercise especially. As you mentioned doing various activities is very important for mental health, as well as for physical health. If one only works out the same muscle groups it can lead to injury and imbalance in the body. I want to go rock climbing now that you reminded me of it. Haven't been in years but ill have to make a trip now.
ReplyDeleteGreat first post for a health/wellness blog. It intrigues both athletic and non-athletic readers because everyone can relate to that groggy, unmotivated feeling when we know we should be going to the gym or going on a run. Your writing is very smooth and I like the casual, relatable tone. Motivation and dedication are the two most important parts of being fit, and I think it was wise to begin your fitness blog by discussing ways that people can motivate themselves and stay dedicated to working out. Additionally, I think you do a good job of incorporating some scientific research into the discussion while not relying too much on it. Great post!
ReplyDelete